Friday, March 4, 2011

A Grandmother's Love

I just heard the optimism of a grandmother of a child with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.  It brought me the verge of tears and I know it will deeply affect you.  After reading this, please feel free to leave a comment describing something you’d do for a loved one, your daughter, your son, your friend, anyone you hold dear. 

“I drink in every day that I have with my grandson and I file it away in the deep recesses of my mind to be called up when I will want to look back at the memories.  I feel so blessed to have him in my life.  He will never probably experience the girl/boy love thing.  He gets crushes on girls on TV.  But I think that’s ok with him.  He lives in his world of video games, listening to music, playing on the computer and the love of his papa and me.  He is happy as a lark.

I sometimes cry inside when I think of what he has before him and what all of you have before you physically as time goes on.  I get angry and I want to do something about it so bad.  No wants to see a loved one go through anything.  But I don’t dwell on it.  I dwell in the moment.  It’s a gift to have each and every moment with him.  I am here to help him through his journey every step of the way.  It’s my mission in life.  It’s my lot in life.  I am his advocate when he can’t express what he needs, I am his fierce protector; I am everything I need to be for him.  I see my grandson as a gift from God.

Kids who don’t deal with the things you all deal with don’t know how good they have it.  It only shows what you are made of!  That is my point, the mindset, the attitude; it’s wonderful. Life is a gift.  Yes, some people are dealt a worse hand than others, but look at what they do with it.  That’s the beauty of it.  I sometimes wonder.  How would I feel?  I try to put myself into the place of someone disabled in a wheelchair, and I really can’t.  And why is that?  Because I’m not in a wheelchair.  I’m not disabled.  But then there are all kinds of disabilities.  There is the disability of intolerance and ignorance at people who are physically challenged.  Now that’s a deep statement isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment